Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 1: Man These Toilets are Awesome

First of all Id like to apologize to anyone that actually thought this blog would turn into some sort of scholarly journal...


Well I made it here safely to Japan. Lets talk about that flight though. First through random blind luck I changed my seat to get an window seat and ended up moving next to a girl who is also from Central and is heading to the academy. How crazy is that? Now the horrors of international travel. For one we flew from Detroit through Canada to get to Japan!? This has me convinced that Canada is indeed the Ohio of the north. Every time I looked out my window in Canada it looked like one big brown mud puddle. It was extremely boring and took forever. You might say, how can you get bored aren't there in flight movies? In fact, they were going to play "The Social Network" a movie I've been looking forward to seeing but haven't seen. Well I plug my ear plugs in all excited  like its Christmas morning, when what do I hear? NOTHING. I get the stewardesses attention and she tells me that the there is a malfunction in the cabin's electricity and even the bathrooms don't have lights. Then the captain comes on telling us in a condescending tone that we will not be able to watch the movie if we would like to try make it to our destination safely. Well this could have worded a little better I thought. Long story short I flew about 10 of the 13 hours with no electricity in the cabin so I couldnt use the lights to read a book, or listen to a movie.

 This was my last meal in the United States. Mashed potatoes, rolls, steak filet with mushrooms.
 This is the first rock garden I have ever seen. This was at the place we stopped for dinner on the way to Sendai.
 This is the entrance to my apartment. The shoes come off right here and you are supposed to wear slippers on the raised floor.
This is Narita Airport in Tokyo. Honestly wasnt too impressed besides the toilets. There was a push button for the door to open and close on individual toilets. There were also so many buttons, I think it probably had a way to teleport.
 Here is my kitchen/dining room/laundry room/living room.
 This is the washing room. You close the door and the left side is the shower and the right is a bathtub.
This is my toilet. It has heated seats. A beday which I am afraid to try and other random buttons. Also when you flush the toilet. Water runs out the top for you to wash your hands.

Here is my bedroom. The blankets and mattress pads remind me of sleeping in between a sheep and a poodle. They are actually pretty comfy.
Luckily, we safely got off the plane at 4:30 PM here. I breezed through customs without any problems and we waited for about 15 others MeySen employees to arrive. From here, we took a 6 hour bus/van ride up to our apartments in Sendai. I finally got home about 12:30AM.

Miss you all!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Greg - it sounds/looks like it is going to be an interesting experience. Also, this blog, a great idea! Sorry to hear the flight wasn't that great - flights are almost always one of the best parts of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for a picture of your firat Japanese meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the update! It appears that it is definitely different and more technologically advanced! Enjoy your time there. When do you start school?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use the bidet, theyre just delightful lol I always use them when im in argentina, they really arent that weird and clean your butt a whole lot better than tp

    ReplyDelete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...