Thursday, July 26, 2018

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya


Unspeakable Joy
            Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words the overall experience. One of the people that has been here for 4 years and is on his way back to America put it like this: “You stay for a week and you can write a book; stay for a month and you can write a paragraph; stay longer and you can’t write anything”. My head has been swimming in ideas to process and what to share. Should I talk about toilets in the ground and eating raw sugar cane for the first time? Should I talk about sharing a room with a mouse? Should I talk about how amazingly beautiful the sunsets in the south east of Kenya are? Should I talk about the game of chicken that is driving in Kenya? I could compare for days the random occurrences and things I’ve gone through, the things I’ve missed (a hot shower for one) and things I will miss here (not beans and rice).
            Overall, there is just this sense of a presence I have felt at both campuses that is difficult to put into words. Each Oasis campus has about 70 kids that come from all different backgrounds and all kinds of issues/heart break that brought them to this place. One is set up family style where about 10 kids stay with a house mom on campus and go off campus to school. The other is a dormitory style where they stay in cabins and live on the side of a hill. They go to school right on campus with about 40 kids from the area. Both are uniquely different but entwined with the same feeling. That feeling is this unspeakable joy that just radiates through these places. 
“What’s on Netflix?” “Have you seen the latest movie?” “Can you floss?” “Did you hear what X said about Y?” “Check my insta! I’m bored”. These are all things I have never heard here. I spent most of my days living among the 60 kids and parents at a site called the valley. At first I was more of a consultant and worked one on one with the kids. Then took over teaching English for the lower elementary grades.
 To a western mindset the conditions might sound rough. The past 3 months they were completely without power and have never had running water or plumbing (power came back a few weeks ago). There isn’t a town outside of this rural hillside community of people and animals for miles of very bumpy roads (worse than a Michigan pot hole!). They collect rain water or river water almost daily for bathing, washing and drinking water.  The diet consists of ugali, maize, beans, and green grams (I lost weight). Goat meat on Friday nights and a boiled egg for breakfast on Sundays are the things to look forward to meal wise. Teachers also get a bonus of a donut called ndazi for morning snack. Avocados the size of your head are also in abundance. Most have never seen any other lifestyle to compare. Apart from differences from the western tradition, there is this communal joy that happens when all are going through life together and relating to each other. They don’t seem to need or even miss things they never knew they “needed” to begin with.     
Where certain things are lacking, the essentials are found in abundance. They are loved! They are taken care of! Their futures are being nurtured!  There is just this infectious joy that radiates from each place. It really has become an Oasis for these Orphans. I’ve heard a few of the stories that would break even the hardest of hearts. Yet, here they are, happily playing soccer or trying out volleyball, working hard at school and being respectful to each other (usually). The cohesion goes further as the kids all take care of the place. From making meals, washing clothes, carrying water, they all do their part. They are all growing in compassion and I regularly see them helping each other carry things or pick each other up when they fall.
A common western thought is to bring people out of their situation and they will be better off if we could just bring them home. Though there is truth in some of the situations, there is greater impact that can happen through these communities.  One morning before church at the Shelter, it dawned on my how much these kids have a chance to truly impact change. Many were made orphans through systemic issues. If we pull things out of the system, the system continues just with different kids. However, if we empower those within the system, they can truly effect positive change from within. It is one of my greatest prayers for these kids besides truly knowing Jesus is that they can grow up to be productive members of the Kenyan society to foster positive change for their future. How amazing would it be to have kids that society gave little hope and chance become the hope and chance for the future of their society?
I’ve come here this summer with an open mind to what I would experience. I  can say it wasn’t always easy especially for my “western comfort.” I greatly missed the food, my bed, AC and sit-down toilets with plumbing every single day I was here. At times I felt isolated and trapped within the walls. But within these moments, I found myself rechecking my own paradigm and trying to be more attune. Life really isn’t meant to be easy, its meant to be worth it. This experience has been worth all the minor discomforts.
Of course, I can’t finish a post without giving Oasis for Orphans a plug. I came at a time of transition and got to see the inter-working of an organization from inside. I have been blessed to see the impact by the teams on the ground here daily. They continue to grow and foster the love and care that each of these children receive. Also, they have become a positive light within their local Kenyan communities. The synergy of the Kenyans and the American missionaries has created strong impact in a short amount of time. There is a strong commitment by everyone to not grow complacent. I’ve been witness to some of the changes that they have done to continue to improve the mind, body, and spiritual health of over 300 children that Oasis services. Some of which are confined to hospitals but still given the same love and care. There are a few that have even gone onto college, reaching the next step in creating social progress here. There is a lot that’s been done and still a lot to be done. I am hopefully that God has been able to use me to be a small piece in the educational growth of the sites. I have been blessed to be able to connect them with Grapeseed which I taught in Japan and would love to see a continued partnership fostered. Yet, I know there is one way that we can help to keep the organization to grow and help others. There is a long waiting list to get in, many of the kids with similar issues but no space to be brought in. It breaks my heart to know there are people waiting to have a chance at an opportunity at a productive life.
 If you want to know more or feel led to donate, Oasisfororphans.org is a great resource and place that I know your money will be put to good use. I have seen it first hand and know some of the plans to bring it to the next level. I am both encouraged and excited to know that when I come back next, the place will be even better, and more kids will be further empowered to take control of their circumstances.    
Thanks for reading! If you want to know more feel free to message me or reach out, I can also connect you with people if you want to look at doing more for the cause.  Blessings!
PS I have over 1000 pictures and several videos. I don’t know how to sift through them all!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...