Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Its official, I've been Outsourced for a Second Year

As I signed the contract today, I started thinking about what I could post. I could go into detail about all the thought and worrying that went into my decision to stay but that just wouldn't be true. To be completely honest, I really didn't give it much thought. Now some people could say wow this is a huge decision and everything but to me it was simple. Actually, I  had to answer two simple questions that everyone should about there job:

Do I enjoy what I do and the people I'm surrounded with?

Do I make enough money that I don't have to worry about money?

Of course, there are more questions you could ask here but for me it really was that simple. Of course, it will be hard to be away from home for another year and I will still miss my family and friends but I am lucky to have found a job that I truly enjoy going to work everyday for.

To be honest, I never really gave much thought into my original choice to come here either. I just came because I happened to go to a teacher fair that just happened to be on a day I could take off from my long term position where I happened to meet a very friendly recruiter who happened to give me a flyer. (still following?) Then in June, I just decided to fill out the application just for the heck of it. Boom got the job and went for it. Didn't really know what I was doing at all. I just went for it because it sounded like a fun thing to do. Most of my friends thought I was crazy.

Looking back I haven't been disappointed. I probably went through one of the craziest experiences most people will never have in their lives with the 9.0 Earthquake, Tsunami, and Nuclear meltdown within my first two months here. Coming home then was the only time I can say that I had any doubts on being here. When I came back, I actually was thinking well Im just going to finish out my contract and come back home ASAP. To my amazement, things went back to normal within a month of getting here. Huge earthquakes slowly dissipated and the crazy experience became a memory.

On a daily basis, I get so caught up in the routine of life that its really hard to believe that I've been here this long already. I can see myself slowly losing track of time. I just assume everything stops in America while I'm gone and will pick up where I left off when I get back. Obviously, that won't happen but I'm cool with it.

A few highlights of my highlights of I can't believe I'm getting paid to teach here in Japan:


  • Friends Day, I was paid to walk around with a pony giving Japanese toddlers rides.

  • I went camping and river hiking with high school students and got to climb a waterfall and jump off a cliff.
  • I got to set up and light off some of the best fireworks I've ever seen for 1st and 2nd grade camp. 
  • For Halloween, I got to dress up like spiderman and play games with my students 



  • Last weekend, I went caroling down the Ichibancho (A mile of road just for shopping) with my 3rd grade students. We sang Christmas songs to people that probably didn't even understand the words we were singing. 
I still get a lot of those random moments that just crack me up. Like today, I was teaching basketball to the 3rd graders. One of the boys insisted on not going on offense because he wanted to guard the other basket like in soccer.

I've also met a lot of great friends and have done a lot of crazy and fun things with them. 


All in all, I honestly can't complain. I feel truly blessed to stumble upon this job and can't imagine how my life would have been without this experience. I can only hope that next year is even more amazing!



PS HAPPY HOLIDAYS!


7 comments:

  1. Good for you Gregory! I am proud of you. A year (or two) flies by so enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gregory,
    I want to apply to teach at MeySen academy, but my mom is worried about last years tsunami and nuclear plant issues. How is Sendai post-tsunami and are there any concerns about radiation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney,

      Glad to see your interested in MeySen. Its truly been one of the best jobs of my life. That being said, I understand there are concerns with the nuclear plant and radiation. Currently, life is back to normal here. I can tell you that if there were serious radiation issues where we are, I would not be here and definitely wouldnt be signing on for another year. There were several parents of students, that were immediately concerned and even brought radiation detectors to school. Since the middle of April the US government has lifted its ban on travel around Japan and considers it to be a safe place to be. Of course the immediate 20 or so km around the Daichi Power Plant is a place you dont exactly want to visit. However, We are about 110 km north of where the plant was.

      Honestly, even the town of Fukushima is far enough away from the plant that people can live there. The school also has proven to me that the safety of its teachers is one of its highest concerns. When there was initial fear that Radiation would get as far as Sendai, they sent us on their money to Misawa AirForce base. I feel that they would do so again if there are more dangers.

      Of course, I am not at all a nuclear expert on the matters. I just go on the faith that I am where I am supposed to be. We haven't had any major earthquakes since last April nor any Tsunami. Of course, there will be earthquakes but there are a lot of precautions set to make sure that you are safe here. The school is also far enough inland that the Tsunami did not even effect us where we live and work. I feel safe where I am and trust the schools judgement if there is ever anything of concern to come up.

      Good luck to you and your decisions. Feel free to facebook message me (Greg Zietlow) if you have anymore questions about MeySen and life here.

      Greg

      Delete
  3. Hi Greg,

    I am also interested in coming to Japan to teach at MeySen Academy. I have talked with a recruiter and completed their application but I was wondering if you could offer any insights in regards to the interview process that you experienced. For example, is there more than one interview and how is this conducted (phone, skype, face to face)? I have been researching MeySen and life in Japan and I feel it would be a great adventure and learning experience. I appreciate any feedback that you are willing to give me!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon,

      The main hiring process usually starts around the summer for jobs the next February (for the new school year) But there are random openings throughout the year, they always hire a few teachers during the summer and fall. In my experience, it was a phone interview in June. Another one in July and face to face interviews in September in America. Then I was hired in November for the next year. i Know they have changed a few things even since then. But from the new teachers I've met its relatively a few phone interviews and a face to face interview. Best of luck and let me know if you have more questions!

      Greg

      Delete
  4. Greg,

    Thank you so much for answering my question. I really appreciate the information. After talking with Melissa, she explained that there is a full time sub position opening in September which would roll into a full teaching position in April when the new school year starts.
    I have been following your blog as well as Kris and Lauren's and I have to commend you on the great information that you provide. It has really helped me see the "inside picture" of Japan and Meysen which is something that is very valuable when considering a potential life changing adventure. I currently teach on a very remote island in rural Alaska and insider knowledge and comments from administrators, teachers, and community members really helped before I arrived. Thanks again and I will let you know if more questions arise!

    ~Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...