Sunday, December 18, 2011

I'll Be Home for Christmas!

**note this was written before I made it home

This year the world was my oyster for my Christmas break. One of the perks of this job is the ability to travel all over during vacations.  I could choose to go anywhere but North Korea for this holiday break. I really started thinking about Australia, one of my top places I want to go. But as I really started to think heavily about what Christmas time means to me, there's really no place Id rather be than home for Christmas.

 I can't imagine not waking up to the living room full of presents, the ensuing wrapping paper fight, "A Christmas Story" playing in the background without ever actually watching it all day,  my mom slipping and falling on the wrapping paper while carrying a tray of cinnamon rolls through the living room.

On top of that, I thought, when will I get many chances to fly across the world to surprise my parents for Christmas. Luckily the stars aligned. MeySen usually still runs on Christmas but it fell on on a Sunday with the emperors birthday on the Friday so I got the chance to fly out the 23rd. On top of that, I got a free roundtrip flight to use as I wanted as long as I signed for a second year. Since September, I've been setting it all in the works to make it home for Christmas and pull off the biggest surprise for my parents.

I had to let my sister in so someone could pick me up from the airport so she's the only one in my family so that knew the entire time. I've also been telling friends as I've been able too. I told my mom that I would be traveling in Japan for the break. Which technically is true, I have to travel to Tokyo to fly home. I've given a lot of vague answers that were not technically lies if she ever had a transcript of the conversation haha. She was under the impression that I would be coming home in March but I only said it was a possibility which is true but not likely.

My plan was to fly home the 23rd and stay at my friend's house then have my sister pick me up from Grand Rapids and meet my mom at church for the Christmas mass. From there, I would have my sister send her on a hunt to come find me.

UPDATE: Everything worked out perfectly as I'd planned. My biggest fear was that she would have known somehow before I came home. Here is the video of the surprise. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

There truly is no place like home for the holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...