Monday, January 24, 2011

Are you getting Nervous? (Warning:you need to understand metaphors)

Are you getting nervous? This is probably the comment I have heard the most out of so many different people's mouths for the past several months. I think nothing makes me more nervous than people constantly asking me if I am nervous. The truth is, yes I'm nervous. I'd relate the feeling to when you see a really cute girl that's smiling at you. Your stomach is making your heart feel like a punching bag. You then realize that if you don't go for it, the opportunity will pass itself by and you'll never know what could have been.

I have plenty of things to be nervous anxious about:
How will I pack? What do I bring? How can I live in a culture and not speak their language? How do I order food? Will I like anything they have?What if I cant read the menu? Will I make new friends? Am I going to be able to keep in contact with old friends? Where do I work out? What if I dont enjoy it over there and am stuck for a year? Are they going to detain me at the airport and strip search me, finding that a man planted something suspicious in my bag, then realizing its only powdered sugar and mixed up our bags?

Of course I can let these questions consume me and never want to crawl out of my bed, or accidentally sleep through my flight but then I wont ever know if that cute girl was interested :). Sometimes you just gotta go for it and hope for the best.

5 comments:

  1. "Are you getting Nervous?" Its awesome how people always ask the most obvious questions to kick off small talk. When ever i go to visit family in Argentina i get asked, "are you excited?" about 2000 times...as if i wouldnt be excited to leave michigan winter for 95 degree heat and family hahaha Cant wait to keep reading this blog, best of luck man Phi Alpha! paul c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya I hear ya paul, people like to state the obvious. Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun lay's ahead for u. I will read and keep updated on u.
    Good luck! I think u will find there's lots of other's there u will be able to talk with.At least I found it to be true when we lived over sea's for 3 years.

    Millie

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first got there I, too, didn't speak any of the language. But the restaurants had mock ups of dishes they served in the window display. We would get the hostess/greeter to come with us to the window, show her what we wanted and then wait for the food to come. If I were younger I would go back in a minute; in fact I tried but the AF sent me to Maryland instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll do awesome, nothing to be nervous about!

    ReplyDelete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...