Friday, March 4, 2011

One Month: Stockholm Syndrome

I can't believe its been over a month since I first landed in Japan. At the same time, my last month in the US is slowly getting blurry for me. The little things like the crazy toilets, Japanese writing everywhere, and  people not understanding English used to be such a shock for me. Now its my everyday routine. Things I thought I couldn't live without like my own car, TV, cable, video games, I actually enjoy not having. I tend to forget that I'm living in a place I've never been and with all these people I had no clue about until about a month ago.  A part of me thinks I can just wake up one day and drive over to my parents house for Sunday dinner.

A few friends were talking last night about how they sometimes stop and think "I'm getting old, when am I gonna get a real job" and then realize this is a real job. We get salary and benefits and have to show up on time. Part of the reason life has become so routine and we forget we work is because of the group of people we work with. Its less of the typical working atmosphere in which everyone goes home to cook their family's dinner and send little Johnny off to soccer practice. The group of teachers that I have met since being here have become more of a second family than coworkers. We work together, we eat together, we spend our off time together.  Its actually kind of hard to believe some of us would have never met if it wasn't for this opportunity. Its so much easier to transition through a new life and job when there are 20 other people going through the exact same emotions and struggles at the same time. How many other jobs do you finish up work only to go play 2 hours of intense floor hockey, basketball, or volleyball?

One month in, I feel blessed to be at this point and am excited for what is to come on this adventure I call my life.

**my plead to anybody that reads this. I enjoy posting but because life is getting pretty routine I'm starting to forget to post things so if anybody has anything they want to know about my life here post it in my comments and Ill try to talk about. heres some posts I started but never finished: church for the first time, my daily schedule, driving and biking, the fountain of youth

ps- if you dont know what Stockholm Syndrome is, check wikipedia ;)
All us new teachers    

1 comment:

  1. Greg - I've experienced the same feelings in Japan and in some Middle Eastern countries. I did have the added benefit in shopping in military or embassy stores; but I did a fair amount of my regular shopping including groceries on the local economy. Like you said - quite an experience; and then it becomes normal. Uncle Dennis

    ReplyDelete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...