Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Movin' on up and to the 5th Grade/Golden Week

I've been horrible lately about keeping up with my blog and whats going on here at MeySen...but a lot of changes have happened. At the end of the school year, I had to say goodbye to some good friends that came on this journey from the beginning with me. That group of us that came just before the earthquake have remained pretty close out here as friends. Its always tough to say goodbye but I know they are all going to do great wherever they end up. For me, the end of the year always brings the challenge of what am I going to do differently and how am I going to grow? My biggest fear here or with anything is to just be complacent and never growing or moving forward.

Luckily, we've got a few changes that made things different around here. First, I no longer work as an Immersion Friends Club teacher. I've always thought the name didn't quite fit exactly what we do. So now, I officially work at MeySen Academy Premier School. Its a fancier name for a resume that I may someday need to update (hopefully not very soon).

The second major change for me is that I made a change from 3rd grade, which I've been teaching for 2 years, to 5th grade. This is the second year for 5th grade in the Premier School program (still weird to say) so there are a lot of changes and new things to implement. Its just been great to actually feel slightly clueless and at times overwhelmed by the fact that I don't really know what we are doing. Some might think thats crazy but it adds some excitement. I also hate feeling complacent so I need the challenge.

...GOOLDEN WEEK

(The previous post was typed up a long time ago but I'm fat and lazy so I thought I'd put them together.)

This year for Golden week, I literally had no clue what I was going to do until about Wednesday of Golden Week. I was looking pretty much anywhere I could get to that was cheap and not sitting in my apartment in Sendai. I decided on the only interesting last minute place I could afford...Tokyo.
My childhood dream if this was a MegaZord

Tsukiji Fish Market
Of course, everybody and their mom decided Tokyo was also a great place to go. If I could describe Tokyo in one word it would be crowded but crowded doesnt really begin to describe it. I'm talking every single place you ever think of going there are 43 people standing in that exact spot you want to be. Heck just a line for popcorn in Harajuku was 90 minutes around the block (yes it was Garrets popcorn but still).

look at all the people
Waiting in lines is one thing I just don't get about the culture here. Anytime there is something new or a place gets new siding, there is a line around the block for it. But honestly, I think if I created a line with about 50 people at some random store. Within minutes there would be people lining up to see what people were lining up about.

In America, you wait 2 minutes at the express checkout at WalMart and you start freaking out about how slow the customer in front of you is. In Japan, you open your book meditate or just stare off into space for hours.

Another side note, there are probably about 5 million Starbucks in Tokyo but for some reason there is one in Harajuku that people will line up for an hour to get into. Exact same food/drinks! There isnt even enough room to sit. I went across the street to the train station Starbucks, there is no one there.

So outside of lines for the bathroom, lines to get a coffee, lines to walk down the street, Tokyo was still a great time. It was the first time I got to go on vacation with my brother and his family and probably the first time we've been on vacation together since my dad was busy getting us lost in the middle of nowhere (which always happens) as kids.

The most important difference between Sendai and Tokyo is the chain restaurants and stores Americans crave. I spent my weekend going to TGIFridays, Burger King,  some Mexican Restaurant, Auntie Anne's, American Eagle, GAP, Old Navy, Hard Rock Cafe and of course Starbucks everyday. I easily spent most my money on food and probably gained 50 pounds but it was well worth it.

Nice and Cozy
The other random adventure I can gladly strike off my Japan bucket list was sleeping in a Capsule Hotel. Most people have probably heard of these. I always pictured it being much like a morgue. It was truly an interesting culture shock experience:

I walk into the building that looks like a big 1950s clubhouse locker room. I honestly, felt as out of place as when I first came to Japan. I have no clue what to do but luckily there is a sign that tells me to take off my shoes and put them into a locker. This is where things get a little bit prisony. I go to the counter and pay. The guy gives me key to lock all my clothes in locker and a uniform to sleep in. I even put the shirt on wrong. Everybody is staring at me anyway because I'm not the usual 40 year old Japanese business man that is all over the place here.

Honestly, between the constantly naked Japanese men, the stench of moldy, smoky musk that was everywhere, I was pretty uncomfortable the whole time I was there. Some might ask at this point, "Why are naked Japanese men everywhere?" Pretty much everywhere outside of your 6 foot by 3 foot high prison cell is like a big locker room/bathroom.

I finally make my way to my cell block after scrub down time in the public showers/bath and no I didnt drop the soap. My bed number was 2040. I think there are like 600 beds in this building by the way. I make my way to my bed and realize there are no outlets, no fan or A/C,  and the TV doesn't work unless you pay for it. To top it off its a hotbox in there. Its also definitely not for the claustrophobic  There were times I just wanted to run away and sleep on the street but I finally fell asleep and actually slept pretty well.

Tokyo Sky Tree
The other Zietlow's
It was definitely a unique experience. Its definitely not worth it. You could easily get a cheap hotel with better facilities than staying in one. I think its more for the convenience of staying for a few hours and  while in transit.

The time in Tokyo was a lot of fun overall, we went all over the place and rode many, many trains.  It was also a great time to hang out with my family. I won't say too many nice things about them because I know they will read this and get big heads haha. It was also a lot of fun to spend time with my  3 year old nephew as he grows in this culture. He's hilarious and now speaking in random Japanese! I actually let him take some pictures from his perspective. I would love to know whats going on in his brain as he sees everything. Next adventure Mom and Dad are coming to join in the fun! See ya in August!

Zachary's Picture
Zachary's pictures

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I stumbled across your blog because I'm interested in teaching at MeySen myself. I would love to exchange information and maybe chat a little more about your experience?

    Hope to hear back!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I'd be happy to tell you anything you want to know! You can e-mail me at greg.zietlow@gmail.com or message me on Facebook: Greg Zietlow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Greg. I just started following your blog as well and my soon-to-be wife and I are in the process of applying/interviews etc. with MeySen. I'm going to bookmark this blog to keep up with your journeys. I stayed up till 1 last night reading all of the early entries. God willing we will be working in Sendai next year!

    In Christ,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with the interviews. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

      Greg

      Delete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...