Sunday, May 26, 2013

Homeless yet Hopeful

Since about February, I've been fortunate to help out with ministering to the homeless in Sendai through the church I attend here, PCC. To be completely honest, around Japan the normal person may never even notice homeless people around town. But when everything is closed down, they pop up all over the place. I went for a walk in Asakusa around 9PM after everything closed and where I saw thousands of people sprawling across the streets, I found homeless men in sleeping bags and boxes right in front of the shops. From what I see, it seems to be different than homelessness I've noticed in America. They seem too proud to beg for things like you might see in big cities. Most don't seem to want attention and are ashamed.

Often, stereotypes of homeless people cause us to fear them and ignore them. Luckily, for me what I have found is something more. Our ministry regularly visits several shacks in a park to keep their spirits up and provide them with essentials they need to better survive. Beyond what they need, we've also been able to get to know who they are. The people that we visit are genuine people that are down on their luck and have been for years. They've caught bad breaks and deal with demons that many of us struggle with but just don't have the right support system. A few of them love to talk and joke around, just genuinely enjoying someone visiting. One guy told me I should be a male model because I have good teeth and look young (I didn't ask about his eye health). He also tried to explain the exact cities for the prettiest Japanese girls to date.

Over the past few times another guy caught my attention. My first interaction he wouldn't even get up to greet us. He may have even been passed out. But this last time, he was up and with it. We all talked with him for a while... well I listened. As I was listening, I could see a look in his eyes as he kept staring at me probably because I was American. It was a look of sadness but ultimately a look of desire for God. He talked about how he's been praying lately and asking God for healing. This is pretty remarkable when you realize that less than 1% of Japan is Christian. On top of that, here's a guy that society might even mark as hopeless. Yet he's coming to God with his struggles. In listening to him talk, you could tell there was a sense of belief in him. Yet he also felt that he was undeserving and too late at times to be reached. But as Ecclesiastes 9:4 says "But he who is joined among the living has hope."

Today was a good example of that, not only did I see him in church but I saw that glimmer of hope in his eyes grow brighter. Granted its just one day in church but a great feeling to see the seeds of God finding soil. I just continue to pray that his plant gets nurtured. All my Christian friends out there, I ask that you continue to pray for this type of ministry all over the world and that people from all walks and struggles with life can come to know Him and His love no matter what their issues may be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...