Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Spring Break! I have to go Phi Phi.

(Here's where I started before I got onto my previous post)

I just got back from vacation and my head is still spinning from all the things we did in a weeks time.  For me it was back to my favorite country I have been to so far: Thailand. Some people might wonder why i would go back again when there's so many other places I could go. Honestly, it came down to its cheap, beautiful, and has a beach. Also, I really wanted to go to Phuket and the Phi Phi islands because I've heard great things about both.

I went with 3 girls, Karina, Kristin, and Gwenn who heard about all my travel stories and still were ok with traveling with me. I took their group pictures and they had to put up with me going to the bathroom every 5 seconds so its a give and take experience haha. Honestly, they were all a lot of fun to travel with and I'm glad I was with this group.

We started our vacation with a 9 hour layover in China. If you have heard my horror stories about PuDong Airport and China Eastern Airlines, you'd be as worried as I was that something would go wrong. But God was smiling on us that day. The immigration people let all of us through to visit Shanghai for the day. Unfortunately, we had no plan and couldn't read Chinese but that was beside the point. We were able to set foot in China without any hassle! We chose to navigate the subway and hope we could get off at some random cool place. We ended up finding an area that had a mall and other random shops.

We had just enough time to buy Papa John's Pizza (they don't sell that in Japan), get a Starbucks mug and nearly get killed by cars driving by. All in all it was a great unexpected day to see Chinese culture.

Shanghai in a nutshell from my 9 hour experience:
  • If you're looking for a sanitary bathroom, you're better off using the sidewalk
  • Cars dont stop for you...ever!
  • Its very different from Japan
Finally, we flew out of Shanghai at 10PM and into Phuket, Thailand at 2AM. We had just enough time to get through customs and get to our hotel and sleep. The hotel we stayed at was actually the nicest we stayed in the whole vacation but we only used it for about 7 hours. 

Monday, we set off for Phi Phi (save your jokes). We had to take a taxi for about an hour and then a 2 hour boat ride. Koh Phi Phi in one word is beautiful. Its probably one of the prettiest views I have ever seen. There are cliffs merging into the sea, palm trees, tiny islands, lots of beach to see. 

Tuesday was my favorite day. We went snorkeling! Snorkeling was something I've always wanted to do but never got the chance. If you want to snorkel, I highly recommend the Adventure Club. They take really small groups and are very friendly. On our tour the water was crystal clear and we saw so many beautiful fish. My favorite thing to do was just to sit there and watch nature just happen. 

Wednesday, we had to leave but not before we had one last adventure...rock climbing! I've been on a rock wall inside before so I figured it couldn't be that bad. Honestly, its not nearly as scary as it is hard work. It takes a lot of technique to be really good at it. After the first climb, my arms were dead but we still had another to do that was about 45 feet up! As I started climbing a bunch of monkeys showed up to cheer me on...and steal our pineapple. As I was climbing, I got stuck and ended up ripping blisters right off my fingers. Believe it or not, its pretty painful. Rock Climbing was a lot of fun though and I'd love to try it again.

After rock climbing, we headed back to Phuket and found our hostel. Phuket Town, felt a lot more like we were in Thailand. Cars, tuk tuks, and motorcycles, were constantly weaving in and out of people crossing the street.

Thursday, we went on an elephant safari. For people that want to do it, I would definitely research it because there are a lot of places that treat elephants badly. This place is actually a sanctuary that takes good care of the elephants. Its definitely not for the easily queasy. Every step an elephant takes is like a jerky old roller coaster.

We also went to a Wat Chalong, where we met the greatest cab driver. Its not everyday that you meet a person that truly just enjoys everyday. Honestly, getting in his cab I was a little nervous because it was probably the junkiest taxi on the street but his personality more than made up for it. His favorite saying was "Everyday is a vacation for me." He even set up to take us to the airport at 10:30PM Friday. Low and behold, Friday at 5PM his car was just sitting right in front of our hostel. He didn't want to take any fares so he could take us to the airport. He was also very quiet on the way to the airport. He said he was very sad because we were leaving.

Thursday night, we went to the more touristy area of Patong. Honestly, if you want a true experience of Thailand, I would avoid this area. I thought it would be nice to relax with other tourists and meet people. Its basically, everything you could want to do that was immoral or wrong on one street and people are walking through it with children. On top of that things were much more expensive than other parts. If you're looking for Spring Break/Hangover Part 2 then this is your place. Its just not the place for me.

Friday was our last day, we had set up a cooking class to learn how to make Thai food. We went to a sweet lady's house about 30 minutes from our hostel and made 3 different meals. My favorite was Cashew chicken. One of my favorite things about Thailand is the food. There's so much flavor in everything. If you've never tried Pad Thai, you are missing out on life.

All in all, it was a great vacation. Its amazing to look back at all the awesome things we did and fun we had. It was a great time with great friends and I'd go back in a heart beat.

*Side note, all of my flights were on time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...