Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Monday Routine

I thought it would be helpful to give a schedule of my mundane Monday's I have every week. Generally, its the exact same thing every time. No matter where you live Monday's still suck. Here it Goes:

4:00 Wake up and curse the Land of the waaay to early Rising Sun, put the pillow over my head and fall back asleep. (the sun always seems to rise at 4:00AM no matter what time of year it is).

9:00 Wake up and get ready for the day and head to Japanese Class.

10:00 Show up to class. My general goal is to learn something mildly inappropriate in Japanese each week. For example, o nara means to pass gas.

12:00 I head to lunch and realize Japan doesn't really know what lunch is. I then head to the store and buy random meat products to make my own lunch.

1:00 I go to work. I don't have to be here till 2 usually but I always want to be a go getter and get things done. I generally use this time wisely by doing nothing/ zoning out/ arguing the lyrics of Alanis Morrisette.

2:00 I have my planning time. Most teachers would be jealous. I have over 2 hours of planning time for a 2 hour and 25 minute class. You'd be surprised how quickly it goes.

At 3, I hike up Mt. Maruyama, to get to my classroom and set up. Kids start to trickle in at about 3:45. Usually they play the piano. Pretty much all my kids are piano prodigies, no joke. I start playing "Mary had a Little Lamb" and they jump into Tchaikovsky while holding a conversation with me about their day.

4:20 Class starts. Students do stations ( a bunch of different English activities and skills), then move on to writing and then start our GrapeSeed Curriculum. We are basically the laboratory for this world renowned program. From here we do phonics and teach reading comprehension.

5:45 is playtime. This is not your teacher hold a clip board while kids run around time. We jump right in and play with the students. Its used as an extension of practical English.  

6:10 We come back finish up Curriculum and work on our theme. 3rd grade studies different parts of the world. We are currently learning about early America.

6:45 We dismiss and wave kids off at the buss. This is something that I think is lacking in a lot of American schools. We tend to dread having "pick up duty." Here all teachers wave and say goodbye to their kids and the kids seem to love it.

From here I head to dinner  and set up for high school.

High School comes around 7:30

7:50 I start teaching high school. Usually, they are a lot more awkwardly quiet because they don't have as much English vocabulary as my 3rd graders. At 8:45 we have play time, which I utilized to teach them the basics of American or as I like to call it "Real" football.

9:00 PM I clean up and head home.

If you actually read this far you can see that, A. I have no life and B. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...