Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving

With the passing of Thanksgiving in America, its reminded me of a lot of things I am thankful for over this past year. Its crazy when I look back at last year during Thanksgiving and where I am this year for Thanksgiving. This year was my first year in my 26 years of existence that I didn't spend Thanksgiving at my house with all my family. Because I was away, I had the bright idea to wake up at 5AM to skype with my family for dinner. I was also hoping to catch a Lions win but that their loss was at least one thing that kept with the tradition.

Seeing all the food made me want to jump through the screen and steal a plate. Unfortunately, Emeril has yet to invent "smellovision." I kind of felt like a quadriplegic because someone had to constantly aim me in the direction of something going on (Thanks Karly). But outside of eating the actual food it kind of felt like normal thanksgiving. Everyone huddled around food, me being the youngest child trying to do anything for attention. The only major difference was that I was 6,000 miles away huddled in my freezing apartment wrapped in my fleece blanket and heading to teach Japanese children a few hours later. Though watching my family eat was a bittersweet experience I am definitely thankful for the decision I've made to come here and continue to do what I'm doing. Even though, I can't be with my family, it feels like I am with a family everyday I come to work (cue collective "awwww").

Also, we were blessed with a great Thanksgiving meal Saturday put on by Samaritans Purse. This organization has been working with MeySen and GrapeCity since the major earthquake and tsunami to help the effected regions by us. Heading in there, I felt almost like a random Japanese person gawking at all these foreign looking people. Its very rare to see someone who doesn't look Japanese and doesn't work at MeySen in Sendai. The group seemed like a very giving and friendly bunch and seemed to fit right in with a lot of the staff here.

Delicious Turkey

Our Gospel singing entertainment for the night


People starting to line up for the food



The food was awesome! Since moving here, I've gotten more used to Japanese food but develop a longing for American meat and potatoes coooking. There was plenty of it. Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, stuffing, rolls, a billion different desserts.  All kinds of things Id take for granted living in the US. I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach though because I tried to eat 2 platefuls and felt full for the rest of the night.

Its events like this I feel so thankful for the school that I work at and the experiences I'm having feeling at my home a world away from home.


PS: GO BLUE! About time they beat that school from Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...