Monday, April 30, 2012

Year 2 Back to the Beginning

About 3 weeks ago, I started teaching my 2nd group of students in Japan. Its been an interesting challenge being a 2nd year teacher.  The kids are great but there are definitely those times that I go "how do you not know this? Oh Ya I haven't taught you that yet." I sometimes feel like I'm teaching kids how to breathe. I have to reteach every thing that I took for granted a few weeks ago because, I had those kids trained. It definitely shows how much I actually taught my students over the last year. Outside of feeling like a record player on repeat, I've got a fun group this year. I have 8 boys and 5 girls. They all have their own personalities.

Last year at this time, I was just coming back from America after the earthquake so I missed out on a lot of the start of the year things. I had a great teacher that was teaching my class for a month before I took over so a lot of the basics were taken care of by the time I got them. This year, I've gotten to mold the students from scratch my way. I've had some great times with these kids already.

The big rolly slide
The sledding hill
This past Saturday, we went to Manyo Park for a field trip. Manyo Park is essentially a big Jungle Gym/training ground for Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Basically, there are tons of obstacles that circle this mountain. The first thing we got to try was probably the worlds longest rolly slide, reminded me of my days at Mullally Park on the orange slide except 10 times longer.  If you sit on slide your butt will go numb by the end of the ride. The kids actually stand on it and squat. Its pretty crazy.

There is also the first non-snow sledding hill I've seen. The kids loved it. You can get going down it pretty fast. If you fall off though, it burns.

...STAFF BBQ

Today, we had our annual MeySen international staff bbq. They set up the grills right on our soccer field. There was soo much good food that you probably take for granted in America. We had burgers, hotdogs, spinach dip, pasta salad and a lot more. It was awesome. After eating, we all played kickball. Every year we put the two schools against each other (Maruyama and Takamori). This essentially when we get to feel like kids again. I feel like every work environment should have an annual kickball game. It just brings out this pure joy that a lot of workplaces can be missing. It was a lot of fun, Maruyama (my school) dominated yet again 22-6.

All in all, it was a great day to just be outside and relax with my fellow foreigners (and Japanese too). Our school now has about 40ish foreign staff and it keeps growing. They are definitely a reason why I stayed another year. Its great to have that group of people that are going through the same struggles here trying to find a place in the Japanese world.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...