Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tsunami Aftermath: 7 months Later



Empty lots where houses once were





broken houses and trash


random boat on the side of the road


Its hard to tell from the picture but that mountain in the distance is just compacted garbage from the Tsunami. There are several of them around town but hard to get to.







This is in the middle of the road


The house in the distance looks rebuilt the other houses didnt fare so well


Random trash litters the beach.

foam 


Thats a boat buried



This is right next to a cliff. a car from a freighter is burried.


Play catch  on the beach midst the trash 

My last post was really about the fun we had just hanging out but you can't really go to the coast without thinking about the tsunami. News all over the world showed the chaos that ensued days and weeks after. I live about 30 minutes from where the tsunami was and know people who were affected by it. I telling my students today about going to Shichigahama for the weekend and they all said the same thing "tsunami." One of my students has a house on the water right there. She told me that the "tsunami came and house was gone."  Its still crazy to think how close it all was. Driving into town you could see the destruction all over the place and a whole lot of empty spaces. I would have taken more pictures but I was the lucky short straw who got to drive us.  Most of my pictures are in the middle of the land where houses once were and now look like a pond is there. These are some of the pictures of areas that were covered by water 7 months ago. I wish I had before and after photos but teachers tell me it was much different.




1 comment:

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...