Thursday, June 23, 2011

There was a huge earthquake near Sendai in March?

I almost forgot just a few months ago, we had a devastating earthquake that completely changed everything in the blink of an eye. The moment when everything became in question. I could go on and on about it which anyone that has kept up on my blogs can attest to. But seriously, as life here becomes so normal its hard to remember that all this chaos was only a few months ago. I've noticed the crazy outpour of sympathy initially and then within weeks its all old news, especially with all the tragedies that have gone spun through the United States.

Even as I live my normal day to day life, I don't ever really think about the earthquakes at all anymore. I tend to forget about the whole Fukushima situation. The scary thing I've realized is that I keep myself completely clueless to what is going on in Japan. I guess ignorance truly is bliss. I don't need to know every detail. Like the old saying "time heals all wounds," I feel like as the months go on I tend to forget the lessons I've learned about life from my own time dealing with the crisis we lived in. The only time I really get woken up to the magnitude of last March is with the occasional decent sized earthquake.

Last weekend we went out to a restaurant and had the longest earthquake I've felt since being back. It was crazy how everybody in the place became silent for an moment after it. There's millions of us with different backgrounds around Sendai but all share a common bond in those moments. We've all had our experiences and survived one of the worst disasters in Japan history. We still get some random decent sized earthquakes but I've realized I've become so used to them that I even sleep through them. This morning, I didn't realize we had a big earthquake until my mom asked me about it. Apparently, I slept through a near 7.0 quake. Its amazing what the body gets used to.

Though, I still want to make a trip out the the ocean to see the devastation I haven't been able to since being back. There some church mission trips that make it out there but with working 6 days a week its really hard to make it all work out. The crazy thing is that the devasted areas are only a few mile drive from where I live.

Coming here, I was really excited to swim in the Pacific Ocean but it doesn't look like I can anytime soon with most places near by wiped out and the idea of what things are floating around out there, makes me not want to go. Lots of beach front access though (...too soon?).We were actually supposed to have some camping trips out by the ocean but those places are no longer there. We also had a camping trip near Fukushima planned that was relocated for obvious reasons.

Its really hard to imagine the perspective I had before and right after the earthquake. With new people coming to MeySen this summer and fall, it reminds me of the ideas I had coming here and what this journey has done for me so far. I was going to list all the great life lessons I've learned through my experiences in the major earthquake aftermath but I will leave it with one, sorry if it comes out cheesy:

It doesnt matter how much money you make or what possessions you have, the most important thing in life you can have are the experiences you have and the people you share them with.

1 comment:

  1. And that is the only thing you get to take with you when you go too.

    ReplyDelete

Unspeakable Joy: My Summer in Kenya

Unspeakable Joy             Coming to the close of my 6 weeks of living out in the hills of Kenya, it is hard to really put into words ...